CASE STUDY | Cavotec MoorMaster Secondment
The Company is respected for its disciplined and well-structured approach to projects, and was asked to cover the design aspect of several projects for another company within the Cavotec Group.
With this temporary peak in workload for Cavotec MoorMaster, it made sense to hire engineers on a contract basis for the project.
The team worked on three different PCA units across two projects, for the aviation sector. These units supply Pre-Conditioned Air to aircraft while on the ground. They reduce operating costs by providing a much more efficient means of cooling than the aircraft’s onboard auxiliary power unit (APU). The Cavotec MoorMaster team covered the complete mechanical design of the units from the ‘Plenums’ where the heat exchange takes place through to the main base frame, motor mounts and sheet metal covers.
Specific tasks carried out by Caliber engineers included:
- Design and comprehensive finite element analysis (FEA) of the base frame under 3 loading cases.
- External sheet metal cover sizing and design.
- Water and refrigeration piping routing and support design for all 3 units.
- Plenum pressure analysis and detailed design.
- Liaison with the Cavotec Engineering Services India (CESI) drafting team to generate manufacturing drawings.
- Engineering drawing generation and revisions to meet production requirements.
We really enjoy working with the Caliber team. Their 'nothing is a problem', flexible attitude is a reflection of their staff and organisation. The ability to bring in some firepower at peak loading times into our office just makes real efficient sense for us. The Caliber team came up to speed quickly on our design tools and processes to help us deliver.